Saturday, April 24, 2004

Time for Action - John to Al, Belinda, Greg Saturday, April 24, 2004 8:37 AM

Good morning Belinda, Al, Greg,

Thank you for the opportunity to begin this discussion which should have begun a long time ago, that is, secure voting for all citizens.

Belinda, to answer your question, I work with disabled individuals every day as a psychotherapist. Earlier in my mental health career I worked as a job coach with some clients who were also hearing impaired. Until you brought up the issue I had not thought of how visually impaired individuals voted.

Al, I am not familiar with the voting system you mentioned. Perhaps that system would meet Belinda's expressed concern at the voting machine end.

My concern has been 1) that I can verify that the vote I cast is what is recorded, and 2) that a record of that vote exist independent of the machine and its electronic record. If memory serves the Maryland study by RABA successfully manipulated totals without detection.

Is there equipment available that accommodates blind voters? Second, what processes can be put in place to offer appropriate oversight of election personnel?

John Burik
Democracy for Greater Cincinnati
Democracy for Ohio